How Am I Doing? An Honest Assessment


 Rating Stars System by Open Clipart-Vectors, licensed by Pixabay

As 2021 draws to a close, it is time for a self-check. Blogging is supposed to help me become a better teacher. What is my reality, however?

This school year doesn't really compare to previous years because of the Coronavirus. It doesn't really compare with the year I taught virtually, either. Still, I know myself.

The Good

I have more joy in the classroom, so my students are happier.

Happier students means greater learner ownership.

My students are learning the value of love.

I am making more opportunities for fun.

Fun increases engagement, which increases learning and motivates me, too!

 

The Bad

I am being less systematic with instructional time and assessment.

Although my lessons are sound, they are not as regular or targeted.

Also, I don’t have clear metrics to address student growth.


The Priorities

Joy is KEY!

 Loving others vs. thinking selfishly is invaluable.

Students need predictability.

Fun activities are great, but they shouldn’t interrupt the schedule so much,

even around the holidays.

The infrastructure (new assessment tools and varied lesson plan templates) needs to be streamlined.


The Balance

For the movement to continue, inclusive "we" need to articulate our priority for gratitude, joy and love. *Intentionalize the values into the schedule with physical reminder for myself and students.

I need to tighten up the schedules for instruction, assessment, and fun.

I need to follow with a timer and schedule flex times/days.

After MOY assessments, which are happening in January:

I need to simplify and align my small group lesson plan templates.

I need to schedule regular assessment into instructional time to make each student’s progress visible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog