What I Have Learned So Far (Updated)

 wisdom-666135_1280 by  John Hain from Pixabay

I feel that real learning, like anything genuine, happens organically. Of course, there are things we can do to promote and guide the growth, but it takes time and there are prerequisites to each stage of development. Since all of this is new to me, I am having to read and reread the materials. I am even looking up and reading background texts, so I can understand all this new information. I believe that with experience and time, the new practices will become a part of my repertoire. I had forgotten how hard learning something new can be! This experience is providing me with a timely reminder of what my students are going though, when everything can seem so overwhelming.

I didn't realize on how much I was missing out by not being "Twitterliterate." Discoveries and innovations are not only taking place in real time, but so is the publication of these findings. I can no longer rely on others to refer me. I get to be the agent who decides what I want to see and hear.

I love the way I can tailor what I want to receive on my feeds. As a new Twitter user, I am learning through trial and error which accounts I would like to follow. The system makes it easy for me to follow new people or unfollow those I thought suited me, but don't.

Even though tweets don't include much text, I am discovering that I really like infographics and articles. The infographics, however; are much easier to understand and share. The busy teachers that I share with are more likely to think through an infographic than read or care about a lengthy piece of prose. This reinforces my classroom goal to use more illustrations with my students on a daily basis.

I was so naive before, thinking that I were a "connected educator." I really had no idea what connectedness entailed. Although I am excited, I am also a bit overwhelmed.

My learning is very general and broad at the moment, but that is sure to become more specific with time.


October 10, 2021 Update:

So, I've had a couple weeks to live this "conntected educator" IRL and have already learned a couple things:
  1. First of all, it only happens if and when I intentionally plan for it. In this job, you're always two steps behind, even as you continue to plan two weeks ahead. And there is only so much I can do in a day. The only way there is time, is if I make time for it.
  2. Of just as much value is the realization that slow and steady is the only way to go. If I am going to do something, I want to do it well. There's no good reason to rush into anything. I have nothing to prove to anyone. In fact, if I want it to count, then it has to be authentic -- and growth takes a little time. It's worth the investment. I can make a list on Google Keep so I don't forget (a new tool I learned from my IB class coharts) and take it on when I'm ready. 
  3. My action plan is still there, and each item will be addressed, but it was composed when I didn't developmentally understand everything that was entailed. Thus, it can be a working document, and can always be edited to improve.
I am excited for myself as a learner. I am excited that I am becoming a better teacher for my students. I am excited that my students lives will be enriched and all of our futures will be better for it! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog